Saturday, December 8, 2018

Healthy Living - Gym


Since we're on a healthy blogging series this week, I thought I'll do a post on how I started exercising in the gym. It started actually in 2014 when our HDB was due for an upgrade. So part of the upgrade (which I will post in a separate post), was to renovate the toilet. In doing so would mean we have no access to our own toilet and had to use a shared one at the void deck. No thank you! So I took this opportunity to sign up for a gym membership, mainly to see what it was like as I've always wanted to try it, and mainly to take a shower before going home to sleep. I signed up for 1 year corporate membership, and 2018 I am still a member. I have renewed twice before, and my current membership will last me till end of 2019. If I can afford it, I would like to continue having a membership until I die cause to me, it is a small luxury but it keeps you healthy!


So in the gym I started taking up regular yoga lesson. I had a few favourite yoga instructor, and during my peak healthy period, I weigh close to my ideal weight of 57kg, and did yoga 3 to 4 times a week. Because yoga position can be inverted, or can be a twist to the body, I had to ensure I don't eat anything 2 hours before a lesson, and in order to do better, I couldn't eat too much. So indirectly, I slimmed down. Above is our favourite Yoga studio at Harbour Front. I love it because it has so much sunlight. I used to go there every Saturday to attend Maverick's class, later on Pek Yew's class. 2 hour session each. Those were my toughest classes to date. I am still not very good at it, but it does makes you feel more flexible and stronger. 


The other class I love is zumba. And it can't be just anyone teaching it, but my favourite instructor Matthew Ang. He is the guy in blond hair above. I've been dancing with him from 2014 to 2018 on and off (as he left the gym for 1 year). But incidentally, he will be back regularly again starting December 2018! Lucky for me, I still have one year left of membership with the gym. Unlucky for me I have work commitment this two weeks. Still, gonna try and make it there!


Matthew sometimes have event outside of the gym. So above was taken in 2014/2015 Christmas dance session at Buena Vista CC. Sometimes he has guest dancer as well, and the guy behind me ( I forgot his name) happens to be also from Penang! His dance style is mainly K-Pop style. 


I've met a few friends while doing zumba. For some reason, we are still friends and hang out a few times a year. Above taken in 2016. As you can see, we also eat in the gym. We celebrate Halloween, Christmas, NDP, birthdays and whatever in the gym and outside of the gym together. Our favourite is going out for supper after gym! Haha. That is why none of us actually lose much weight! 


Where else but in such environment can you take cool photos as above. Thru zumba I've learned that sexy dance requires a lot of core muscle! My playlist has also grown with so many latin songs and K-Pop and other interesting music. 


Once the music and the dancing was so awesome that we broke a glass in the gym due to the impact! Isn't that cool? I got the above photo to prove it! Luckily it was a safety glass so nobody was hurt.


Lastly, here's a photo of me and my favourite zumba instructor. I took this photo cause I wasn't sure when I would get to see him again. I went all the way to Ang Moh Kio on a weekday to attend his class when my friend told me he was teaching there as a cover instructor.  I did so again to Harbour Front. And now, from this week onwards, he is finally back as a regular in Tampines True Fitness! Yay! Now if only Maverick would also move back from his atas True Yoga club, I can finally get into shape again!

Stay healthy! Stay young! Dance Always! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments