Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Penang Straits Quay


While I was back in Penang last week, I had a few family gathering after the funeral was over. I thought I'll just blog about them here so that friends who might be headed to Penang in the future can also refer to it and see if they wanted to visit these places. In terms of price wise, you can decide for yourself where you want to drop by these places. Today's post is on Straits Quay, a high-end marina place at Tanjong Tokong. We went there with my cousin and niece who is getting married this weekend. We manage to meet her husband-to-be, and I was very happy to see my cousin Tony again looking youthful and high spirit. We were treated to a nyonya restaurant call Nyonya Breeze. 


The first photo is all our dishes. We had Nasi Ulam (herb rice) instead of white rice. When I was young I couldn't stomach this dish at all as it was too herb-ish. But now, I love it! And it goes super well with Petai Prawn (smelly beans with prawns). These two is enough to satisfied me. On top of that, we also have Sambal Kacang Botol (some bean fried vege). I love kacang botol! For some reason it is quite hard to find it in a ready cooked dish in Singapore. We also had some Otak-Otak (steamed coconut gravy fish), and some Hay-Ya-Kay Pork (don't know how to translate this dish). All in all, quite authentic! Go check it out if you are there next time. I don't mind dropping by again, although I don't really know how much everything cost. But I so so so miss daun kadok, which is a type of leave used in nyonya cooking. 


For dessert, I had Pengat, also known as Bo Bo Cha Cha (coconut milk with steamed stuff like sweet potato, yam, bananas etc). I love this dish so much cause when I was young, I only had it during the 15th day of Chinese New Year. Apparently, it is very tedious to make. I know this bowl cost around RM5.90. Delicious!


After lunch, we also stopped by for some coffee and cakes. This is a coffee shop call Full Of Beans. I'm only showing two photos here cause I plan to do a more detailed post of this place one day.... Haha. I love the chocolate cheese cake from this shop the most. It never disappoint! The coffee here isn't too bad either, although more on the fancy side.


For example, I ordered their house brew, and it came in the above cup which are normally mean for tea. I like the creative idea of serving it this way, and the coffee was very good. But at almost RM10 a cup, it was rather expensive.... So if you come here, order the other fancier drinks which are more value for money.


There is also a recently opened Korean supermarket here. We were trying to look for it the last time we were there in August. It is kinda hard to find. You need to know where to convention centre is as this supermarket is right below it, or kinda. Just ask around! But I wanted to mention this place cause we found a lot of stuff we couldn't find in Singapore here! Weird isn't it! So for example, have you seen Coffee Makgeoli before? I didn't even see this in Korea! Didn't know it was a thing! But we tried it, and I love it! My husband didn't like it that much. It has 4% alcohol in it, and it's so fragrant! It cost around RM10 per can. Expensive, but I would say worth a try if you convert it to Singapore Dollars.


I also found this ginseng wine which I love when I was in Korea. I introduce it to my husband, but sadly he didn't like it. It goes really well with soup. Haha. I tend to throw rice wine and ginseng wine into soup to give it that Umph flavour! Lastly, we also found the file fish or flat fish that my husband and me love so much here. It sells for RM30 for 5 fish! That's SGD10 for 5 fish, SGD2 for 1 fish! I got it for only SGD1 per fish in Korea. Considering that we didn't have to fly all the way to Korea, I'd say it was worth it. 

Ref:
Straits Quay
Nyonya Breeze
Korean Supermarket
Full Of Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments