Sunday, December 23, 2018

Singapore CBD Walk


Singapore is a beautiful city. Clean. Orderly. Green. Well planned. Today I'm gonna be writing about one of my favourite places to take a walk in Singapore, and that is the Singapore Central Business District (CBD) area. Especially during the weekend where it is almost ghostly, and especially in the early morning. The view is beautiful here. Whenever I need a walk to clear my mind or make a life changing decision, I would take the trouble to take the train down here, and just take a leisure walk around this place. Sometimes I even come here on my day off, just to take pause, and see where I've come so far.


Well all except one of the photos taken here was taken in April 2018 this year. It was a special walk. I was actually surveying a place I was going for an interview at on a beautiful Saturday morning. It was a special morning because while I was walking past my own company's building, I took a photo of it, and that was the realisation that I was setting the wheels to move, to find another job, and letting go of my dream job.


The consideration of the Singapore government is amazing. This is one of my best thinking place. You can sit here in the early morning just looking into the CBD area and get a nice tan along the way. The view is just spectacular. And it is so quiet in the morning. Only joggers are around, and they too appreciate such a nice route for their morning exercise. 


This was what I was looking at while I contemplate whether to change my job. It was a powerful image. Cause after around 15 years of working, I was  finally in a company in the CBD, doing what I do best, and chasing a dream of working in Japan. Did I really want to throw that all away to go work for a start-up company? 


This is the view of Fullerton Bay, probably my favourite hotel in Singapore. I hope one day I'll be able to spend a nice relaxing staycation here. The service here is spotless. And I am able to experience all these, is because I've been working so hard through out, hardly ever taking a break between work. I was exhausted. The dream I held now wasn't what I expect it to be. I was disappointed in it. Should I hold on? Or just give it up and move in a different direction?


After that walk, I decided to move on. No, I didn't get the job at the start-up. I got another different job instead. From the biggest bank in Japan, I now work under the stars of a German automobile (as my German ex-colleague always say). Strange how life leads you to this moment. Do I like my current job? It's hard to say, I haven't been doing much so far. Did I like my previous job? I did. I gave it so much of my time and effort. I don't regret working there. I was just disappointed that it wasn't a better experience. There was so much that could have been improved. But it just wasn't so. 


This is the view of the 'heartbeat' of my main office. It's a beautiful building from the inside. But outside, it just looks like a city wall from the Game of Thrones or some midivil era. I am still finding my peace. Maybe I should go take a walk there to start a new 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments