Thursday, December 6, 2018

Penang Local Food


Today's post is on the more affordable, normal but still delicious food that locals will eat on a daily basis. If you are near Tanjong Bungah area on a Tuesday night, don't forget to drop by the night market. Starting at around 7pm is the best time to go. I have blogged about it here before, so this is just a small update. One of our all time favourite is Friend Chicken Skin. It cost only RM2 or RM3 for a larger pack, and it is so so sinful. Best with cold beer. Look for the fried-everything stall. 


The night market has been upgraded to more trendy food like Korean, fancy bread, burgers etc. But I still find myself buying local snacks which are nostalgic to me. Above is the RM2.50 mysterious meat murtabak. I love it with the pickled onions. I eat it as a snack instead of as a meal. For this recent trip, I also had Black Sugar Soya Milk, Apong Manis, and Roti Jala. 


On one of the nights, my Cousin Helen also invited us out for dinner. She said we had to try this one and only Soup Hor Fun. I didn't know what it was, didn't care. If she say it was good, it must be good! RM5 for the large bowl, not disappointed one bit! It has a very homely feel to it. Could have eaten two bowls with no issue. This coffee shop is found inside some apartment somewhere behind the de-func Federal Cinema. If you don't know where, easier to refer the reference link below and Grab your way there. Go by 630pm and wait for the stall to open!


The other great thing about this weird out of the way coffee shop is this Pipa Duck. OMG! Order a whole duck and weep while you eat. So delicious. Especially the boney part. We ate it clean. Even the sauce that came with it was awesome! Next time I go on my own, I'm eating one and buying back one! Go early. Maybe only 5 to 6 ducks sold per night only. Shop is closed on Sunday and Monday.


Lastly, we also visited my 1st aunt, and his son was kind enough to bought all the food for us. My husband supplement it with some roast chicken and roast park. All above food (except the roast meat) are from Taman Free School food court. Go around 3pm - 4pm.  I guess this is tea time food. Hahah. Try the pasambur, which is the orange looking dish next to the roast chicken. It was my favourite among all the dish there cause I haven't ate it for a long time and have totally forgotten what it tasted like. Super yummy.


This place is also famous for its Penang curry mee. It comes with pork blood jelly if you like that sort of things. I don't really like it. But I do love duck blood jelly in steamboat! 


And also, Penang Laksa! I had laksa twice in this trip. This one that is kinda sweet. And I also had L'aksa, which is a Johor Laksa at Queensbay Mall. A good laksa should always come with lots of herbs and prawn paste (Hei Ko)!

Ref:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments