Friday, March 1, 2024

Solo Trip - Kuala Lumpur (November 2022) - MinNature Malaysia Something Closer To My Heart


There were a few exhibit that was closer to my heart when I saw there. One of them is about Peranakan in Malaysia. Above is suppose to be a typical house of a peranakan. The one thing I truly love about a peranakan house is the indoor open garden in the middle of the house. To have a green space connected to the outdoor, but indoor, is an amazing concept for me. 


So zooming in more on the peranakan, also known sometimes as Straits Chinese, or Baba Nyonya. We are a dying race really. I myself personally have only worn the kebaya with sarong once! And that was two years ago, and in the privacy of my house. I have worn the kebaya tops before, but also quite recently as maybe 5 years back? I got a black one, and I love it. I wore it to special occasions like my cousin's 50th birthday, and my bestie's wedding in Singapore. I work it with jeans, and I do look good in them :P  I also don't follow the peranakan traditions anymore, although I do know how to play Mahjong and Chee Kee. But the one thing I do follow diligently, is the food culture of peranakan. I love peranakan food. I love all food. But peranakan food is my culture, so I have got to learn how to cook the dishes that I so love from my childhood, mainly Kiam Chye Boey, Ju Hu Char, Asam Prawn, Kari Kapitan etc. I can even make Kueh Bangkit (once!). I made it one day because I missed my friend's grandma's kueh bangkit so much after she passed on. I remember every CNY, my friend would bring me a box of his grandma's kueh bangkit, and they just melts in my mouth. It takes a lot of work to make though. But I am sure there will be more kueh bangkit in my future :)  


Peranakan according to history started in Malacca? Well, both my parents have roots in Malacca even though now we all live in Penang. There are also peranakans in Singapore, but I don't consider them the same as Penang Peranakan! Hahahaha. Above is the Dutch Square from Malacca. I've visited it once before. My brother and dad actually visited the kampung where our family is from before. I guess I'm not so much into tracing my roots to my past....


Above is what a living room is supposed to look like. I never did encounter this except once in my friend's house. But mainly I see this only in museums. Our house was more retro with a notable rattan dining set. Maybe we came from a poorer family. I recall mainly rattans everywhere....


We don't have marble dining table back then either (but I do have a marble dining table in my home in Singapore :D ). But the kitchen was something familiar. My 5th Ee Poh (grand aunty) used to live in an atap house in a kampung, and her kitchen was huge and concreate! And I love it, although I hate the bathroom in it as it shares the same pool of water as the kitchen, with no divider!


Above are classic scenes of a peranakan house. Wooden door carvings, and lots of black and white photos of family. My current 3rd aunt's house still looks like that, with old wooden furniture. Maybe my family love rattans and wood? 


Above is the Thaipusam festival held annually in Bate Caves Kuala Lumpur. We also have a grand Thaipusam event in Penang. Now you probably be thinking why is an Indian festival close to my heart. Well, when I was young, I go to this festival annually with my Dad. It was pretty normal in Penang that Chinese also celebrate this festival. We would make our way to Waterfall area, and wait for the chariot to arrive. I would get some plastic indian bangles and wear them, knowing too well they will break the next day. We would watch the stick dancing, the art exhibit, and climb the stairs to pray to the gods. There will be the smell of a river of milk flowing down the drain of the stairs. And after that, we would make our way to Pulau Tikus to have supper before heading home exhausted. It was a wonderful memory of my childhood. 


Seeing all these devotees and their strong faith. Piercing their bodies, tongue. Carrying kavadi, walking barefoot every step, climbing the 500+ steps to fulfill their vows. And the beat of the indian music that can be felt right into your beating heart! Amazing vibe!


I attended Thaipusam on my own again in 2024. I saw the two chariots pass me by. And I do feel rather emotional about the whole event. I hope I can attend it next year, and also to go up to the temple again. 


And lastly, the most fun part of Thaipusam, is the smashing of the coconuts on the streets as the chariot passes by. It is something you should not miss if you are in Malaysia! I have lots of nice photos and videos of Thaipusam 2024. I just need to find time to share it in my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments