Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Transit PG > SG

By July 2023, I had already quit my job, and was awaiting official release from my company. The reason I wanted to quit were many, one was because my Krisflyer Gold Membership was expiring by 31-Aug-2023 and I knew I would probably never get that privilege again. So I tendered my resignation in May-2023, and used the month of June to plan my trips, July to Taiwan, August to Nagoya, Japan. 

I have actually been to Taiwan many times before, but  mainly for work. Except for my first trip with my husband which we travelled mainly outside of Taipei, I was mostly stuck in Taipei for the rest of my remaining business trips. This was actually going to be my very first time exploring Taiwan, the off the beaten path! I was going to spend around 2 weeks there. I picked Taiwan as my first big solo trip cause I've been there before, it was relatively cheap (I spend a total of 1.7k SGD for this trip), it was relatively safe, I could understand the language (or SO I thought!), and I have friends there in case of emergency. 


Above is the actually itinerary planned for my Taiwan trip. Planned, not actual ya! Also, I forgot what those annotation (S), (J), (T) stands for.... I think they meant jeans, shorts, track pants....Yes, I planned my wardrobe too, based on travelling days, sensitivity of the place, laundry day etc. The other legend under Hotel column are as follows: 

*Shared Toilet - Need to know when I can do my laundry
% Free Breakfast - Need to know when I can save money and eat more
!No Windows - Cause I'm kinda claustrophobic
$Fridge Available - Need to know when I can load up on drinks, fruits, ice cream etc.
^Laundry Facility Available - Need to know when I can do laundry by machine, but ended up I was too cheap to pay for it when I can just wash it for free in my own toilet....


I was so excited for this trip. First leg, SQ from Penang to Singapore. I was going to fly SQ all the way until my privilege expires! Had no problem with the overnight transit as this gave me the chance to spend some time with my husband there. Lucky for me our home is near the Changi Airport, and he drives. Like a friend once said "till death do us part has it's benefits", lol.  Plus, going via transit allows me to visit more airport lounge to loud up on free food one last time before I get downgraded! I look forward to those TWG tea bags in Changi Airport!


First airport was Penang Plaza Premium Lounge. A rather small lounge, but still have some nice food. For instance, the above curry chicken was surprisingly very good! Eating at the lounge benefits me cause my home in Penang is 1 hour away from the airport, or 2 hours if I take the bus. By the time I get there, I am usually hangry! But after being downgraded, I have resorted to stopping at Queensbay Mall for my meals before heading to the airport, by BUS mind you!


Anyway, continuing on, the bao and sandwiches was pretty decent too. And I usually drink an espresso or coffee at the lounge cause I am too cheap to pay for one in a cafe. Besides, I keeps me alert on my travel. 


So, when you are jobless, you have the option of flying on a weekday, and picking the cheapest flight possible of course! The other benefit was, whole row of seats all to yourself! How about that! The last time this happened was on my first flight to Mumbai India on SQ weekday flight :)  I remember I could even lie down and sleep. Ah, so much leg room!


For a short flight of 1 hour, SQ actually serves Old Chang Kee Curry Puff, and drinks. I always pick the apple juice. Most of the time, I bring the curry puff home with me to eat it later. Two curry puff is quite filling for me, and 1 hour to eat them is kinda rush for me. 


So starts my real solo lifestyle now. I can never get enough of the ariel view from the plane, window seats being my preference. I'm excited blogging this even though it is almost coming to a year from the trip. I actually have more solo trips lined up. Looking forward to them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments