Thursday, March 7, 2024

Solo Trip - Kuala Lumpur (November 2022) - LaLaPort Team Lab


After spending more time than I had planned at MinNature Museum, it was almost past 1pm. The limited set lunch that I wanted to go for would have been sold out by now. But I still wanted something Japanesey, since this trip was all about a backup to Japan, I wandered into iSetan looking for food and found some atas food court at the basement. (btw, the above pix is of LaLaPort, the next destination after lunch).


I ordered the Chicken Nanban, which might have cost around 30rm? I wasn't expecting much as I settle down to wait for my food. I was so so hungry. The food was cooked by some foreign worker, which I can't quite place where they were from. They looked Asian Chinese, Myanmar? They spoke a dialect which I can't quite place either. Maybe Myanmar? Maybe from some district of China? Didn't matter, that Chicken Nanban was the best I've ever eaten! Japan included! I often don't order this dish as it's just fried chicken cutlet with tartar sauce, but the one at KL iSetan tasted heavenly! And even though certain places in Fukuoka was famous for their Nanban chicken, none ever tasted as good as this one. This is actually a fusion dish, influence by the Portuguese. Kinda like Katsura cakes from Nagasaki. 


Satisfied with lunch, I took a short train ride, transferring along the way, to Bukit Bintang City Center. I wanted to go to LaLaPort to look around. LaLaPort is a Japanese mall that also exist in Japan, and other part of Asia like Taiwan. (There was one in Taichung, but I didn't visit it).


The one thing I wanted to see was TeamLab's exhibit at LaLaPort. It was a time limited exhit, and it was free! So there I went! Above was the poster found outside the food court at LaLaPort. The foodcourt was amazing! Very Japanese-like! They have ports for you to charge your phone, and very comfortable seatings. The food was on the expensive side. I didn't eat anything there, but I did sat down to charge my phone for almost an hour :P while drinking my own hot tea in my tumbler!


Above is the TeamLab exhibit, right at the rooftop garden of the mall. And you can see the mobile phone building at the backdrop too! I initially thought there was more to the exhibit than just this, but apparently, that was all.... 


So I came all the way here, just to see some alien egg like features, all worshipping their mothership! Lol. It does looks surreal. Interestingly, while on my day out wondering around Singapore, I realised that Singapore National Museum also have an exhibit by TeamLab! Why did I not know that before? And the weird thing was, I have been to that exhibit before! Ha! Maybe I didn't know who TeamLab was back then. 


After finishing my photo session with the alien egg, my next target was Nitori shop. We don't have Nitori in Singapore, or Penang at that time. And I have often seen Japanese magazine and youtube recommending this shop. So I was curious and wanted to see what all the fuss was all about. Maybe it was like a Daiso shop? Oh how wrong I was. It was so much more expensive than Daiso! Basically it was a home lifestyle shop. And we now have one in Penang Gurney Paragon too! No need to go KL any more. Muji is also opening in Penang Gurney soon. All I need is maybe a Kinokuniya, and please please please let Donki open a shop in Penang!


Wandering around the mall, I also saw this gigantic MGM teddy bear. Why are there so many teddy bears in KL???? And I have no idea about the MGM brand either. Some luxury brand perhaps? Doesn't matter. I wasn't interested....Moving on!


As mentioned, LaLaPort is a Japanese mall, so there were many Japanese deco all over the mall. Specifically at the ground level and basement. Above is a giant daruma. My plan of a backup Japan was working out pretty well!


For area where shops were yet to be opened, there are huge cover of Japanese theme like art. Above is Godzilla and Kingkong fighting. Super love this poster as it looks like those retro Dong KingKong games. 


There was also this beautiful Sumo wrestle art piece, and a lone potted plant placed there as if the Sumo-san was surprised to see it there lol. 


There was also a huge bookstore there call BookExcess. We have the same shop in Penang Gurney too, so I wasn't too exciting about it. But I did went in to check it out, and I must say, the deco was amazing! Above is just one of the exhibit corner of the bookstore. Mind blown!


It felt almost like an art museum! And there were so many artistic books there too. But books in Malaysia is ridiculously expensive, sometime going up to 3 or 4 digits in ringgit. If you convert it to SGD, maybe it's not that bad. But when I see the prices in MYD, I kinda lose my appetite. 


And so end my exploration of LaLaPort. My last stop was to S&I, a shop I saw on social media that I wanted to try. They sell these delightful bambolone, which is kinda like stuffed donuts. I bought two back for dinner/supper. As I aged, I realise I can't eat as much as I wanted to in a day anymore. So now I planned my trip with one large lunch, and snacks for dinner. It saves a lot of money for me, and also, I get an excuse to try nice bakery and other interesting snacks. The above buns did not disappoint! They made me so happy that I even made a repeat order of it on my last day in KL! Stay tune for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments