Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Solo Trip - Kuala Lumpur (November 2022) - Tsutaya Books


Final post on Tsutaya Bookstore, all about books! I freaking adore books! And beautiful books are one of my weakness. I mean, just take a look at the above photos, a set of classics displayed so elegantly. I wouldn't mind owning a set. Actually, there was a phase in my life where I would just buy box sets cause they were so pretty and well, affordable for me at that time. I have a Harry Porter box set that I have yet to read at home somewhere!


Some of the box sets are so unique that you just want to own it, even though you have no idea what is it about. Like this Bob Dylan box set. Isn't it just beautiful?


I also saw this beautiful Anthony Bourdain book on World Travel for sale. Interestingly, I borrowed it from the library after my trip, and was glad I didn't buy it. It was pretty boring actually. I mean, he wasn't a bad writer. I absolutely adores his Kitchen Confidential book very much. But on travel, perhaps it was just better to watch his series instead. Every episode was iconic!


And guess how much the book cost? 208rm! That is equivalent to my 3 weeks grocery budget!


They also have beautiful collectibles book. Like this mini version of Harry Porter art book that fits right into my hand. And mind you, I have extremely small hands!


I saw a H.P. Lovecraft book in Japanese, and that brought me so much memories of my teenage years. 


There were also English version of Japanese book, like this one from Junji Ito. His horror stories are sometimes so mundane that it scares you a few days after you've finished his books. The horror just sits in your psyche waiting to pound on your when you were least expected. I read a book of his about spirals, and for the life of me, I would not ever own any plates or bowl that has that design!


There were also Japanese books, but very few than expected. I was quite disappointed at their selection actually. I would say Kinokuniya KL has a better collection. But as of 2023, I've stopped (or tried cutting down is a more accurate term) buying Japanese books first hand. I now only buy them from BookOff shops in Japanese. It is so much cheaper that way, and the books are still equally beautiful and new even though they are pre-loved. Some costing as little as just 100Yen!


There was this beautiful Moomin book which I could not afford. I have no idea when I started liking Moomin. I have so many Moomin stuff at home! Like glasses, bowls, pens, even cloth, and books. Oh yeah.... maybe it started out with a book. I had a Moomin schedule book once. Used it for a year and love it. I've even flew Finnair and been to Helsinki where Moomin is from.  But it was just a transit, and I didn't see much merchandise on my trip there. 


Anyway, I've regress. Look how beautiful that colourful Murakami book is! And it's one of my favourite too! Actually it was the one that made me start loving Murakami, all because of a play of word of The Wind-Up Bird, a handler of someone who was very special to me. Murakami stories are just like my friendship with this person, depressing, surreal, and without proper ending. And that is why I read every single Murakami book I can to figure out life's mystery. I love South Of The Border the best. Tragic love stories are my forte, lol. 


Can't tell whether this book is in Mandarin or Japanese, but man, a book on the science of ramen? And the illustration is so cool too! Who wouldn't want to own such an awesome book? 


There were also StarWars books, lots and lots of them. But I thought the above one was rather interesting. It was a cross between StarWards and Japanese Samurai. In what universe would that ever occur???


What about a baking book about StarWars? I know my cousin would love that!


There were also these beautiful collections of Thich Nhat Hanh's book. I do love his books. But they are like, in the range starting at 300rm! I'll stick with my library collection thank you very much!


Lastly, a book on Vincent Van Gogh. Ah, the sadness will last forever... Another tragic beautiful life story....

So ends our love affair with Tsutaya Bookstore this trip. Books make me so happy :)  

Ref:

Tsutaya Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments