Thursday, March 28, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Kaohsiung NanHua Market Walkaround


The nearest night market from Formosa Boulevard station was NanHua Night Market. So I headed there to look around. It was probably around 5pm or so. This place wasn't on my top list as it focuses more on clothing. But since I was nearby, no harm dropping by. I am glad I did :)


In the hot summer heat, I found a nice push cart in the market selling ice ai-yu jelly. The lady selling it looks old enough to be authentic, so I ordered a bowl using my fluent Hokkien. Amazed, she understood what I said! And she served me this beautiful bowl of aiyuping, but in a plastic bowl instead of the beautiful bowl you see in below...


Luckily the aiyuping was so delicious and refreshing. I sat down and enjoyed it to the last drop. And I was leaving, I said bye to her, and she thank me for stopping by and giving her the business. I felt so humbled by her words. Was business so bad here? Well, I am glad to have stopped by. I love supporting these small mum and pop businesses, whether at home in my hometown, or anywhere I travel. I would rather spend my money on them than some big brand shops. This is a more personal way of reaching out to the locals. 


After cooling down from the aiyu, I walked around, and as expected, found the market rather boring. So I ventured out and found some murals instead, with kids playing football in front of it. It looked pretty newly painted, judging from the vibrant colours of it.


Here is another section of it. It was a rather long mural.


As I made my way down to the station and again to look for the 2nd night market, I found the above lonely inu shiba taiyaki sitting alone there. I was quite tempted to sit down next to it to take a phone :) But at least, I didn't. I only managed the above shot. Maybe next trip little inu shiba. 


I also walked past a post office, and it was also super cute! I mean, look at the post box above! It was past 5pm, so the post office was closed. I used to send myself and my parents postcards from all over the world. It was fun and cheap, and I love collecting the stamps. Somehow, I've stopped doing that now... Oh wait, the last post card I sent was from my trip in Ipoh in 2022! Ok, not so bad! Maybe I should start again! 


Above is the post office mascot. Told you everything was cute in Taiwan. Again, I could have sat down next to them to take a selfie, but the adult me stopped my self.... They kinda looked like those Precious Moment dolls, don't they? 


I leave this photo as last. It's from a cafe at the station. I love the poster. But I especially love the wordings on the poster "路是人走出来的". Do I need to translate it for you? It means, all roads are walked out by men. I guess its the same meaning as all rules are made by men? Hence anything can be resolve since it is man-made, man can change it. Or something along that line. That's what I think anyway. Was I wrong? Point to ponder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments