Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Solo Trip - Kuala Lumpur (November 2022) - Tsutaya Gifts

 

Tsutaya bookstore not only sold books, but they also sold everything that a book worm would love, and some cool Japanese stuff too, like the above clay daruma, or moneyneko. Only problem was, everything was really really expensive. But admiring them while window shopping was free! So let's start. 


I think all book worms love drinking coffee, or tea, or hot chocolate, or even good wine while reading :D
I like how they paired the teas with books about tea. I'm a sucker for such display. I also love menu inspired by books. You won't believe how many spaghetti and cheap sushi I ate while reading Murakami! Not forgetting hot black coffee. Or even bourbon cassis. Taste and smell is one way to experience more of a well loved book! It makes you feel like you are part of the story!


There was also a well stocked stationery corner in the bookstore. What I found interesting was this sketching set starter kit. Sketching, or painting was something I want to take up during my 'retirement'. I've yet to start, even though I occasionally do colouring in my daily journal.... During Covid I did complete a paint-by-numbers painting of an Italian Riviera! Does that count?


Japanese pottery was also displayed beautifully in the bookstore. I guess these are vases? I think part of the appeal of Japanese things are the lack of colour, the earth tone, the simplicity of the item. It kinda blends into the surrounding, yet kinda stands out on it's own. I don't know if you  know what I meant....


I totally adore these cases. Interestingly, I have two miniature vase like these given to me by my husband as a house warming gift for my home in Penang. I put some miniature dried flowers in them, real flowers mind you! None of them fake plastic ones! Over my dead body!


Japanese people are also obsess with pens. Above is a 13k rm pen for sale! My goodness! I also love pens, but I am not THAT obsess! I do use a fountain pen. It's a cheap hello kitty pen. I actually have two of them. I use them for permanent writing like scrapbooks or fixed schedule notes taking etc. But my favourite pens are actually my frixion pens with all their variety of ballpen colors. I even own a moomin frixion pen that holds three ballpen refill. Totally in love with it. 


For fountain pen, one of the cool think about it is the ink. Above bottle looks too beautiful to use! I don't use bottle ink though. I use a pre-filled ink tube where you just break the seal to use. It comes together with my pen, and I always get different coloured ink for the refill. 


I mean, look at all the available colours out there! Why settle with just black, blue and red? How boring. My favourite colours are actually green, purple, pink, sometimes orange, or brown. Never buy yellow though. You can't read anything you write in yellow! Hahahaha. I get all my refills from Japan whenever I go visit. It is a lot cheaper there, and the variety there are insane! If I ever write you a handwritten note, please note that means I like you, cause I'm wasting my precious ink on you!


For some reason, this bookstore also sell swords..... I guess it's just a Japanese thing? Surely nobody is going to use these swords on their books! Japanese swords are also insanely expensive, so let's not even go into the prices here....


There was also a lot of arty farty stuff for sale, like this clay or wooden toy set? Who on earth would buy these? Some insanely rich Malaysian who wants to choke their kids with these? At 1.2k rm, I'll pass! But they are cute. 


Lastly, soy candles themed with books also caught my attention. Can you imagine? Reading Game of Thrones and smelling the smell of Dragon Lair? I wonder what THAT smell like. There was a time I toyed with the idea of buying soy candle. But burning money was not something I take lightly. I did settle for some cheap China-made scented candle in the end, but never did finish using them. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I've moved on from candles now, and have evolved to burning scented incense instead! Will do another post on that next time....

I really should get on with the books in the bookstore, shouldn't I? Lol. Next post! I promise!

Ref:

Tsutaya Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments