Sunday, March 24, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Taipei First Meetup @ MegaCity BanQiao

 

So when you reach a foreign land, what is the first thing you have to do? Pay respect to your local elder and mentor of course! I've made an appointment with my ex-colleague from my MUFG days for lunch. I was initially planning to take a bus to our old office, but luckily he told me the office has shifted to BanQiao. Luckily there was a straight train there, although walking to the MegaCity mall took some exploring. 


I reached there early as usual, factoring in time to get lost along the way. It was a typical mall selling branded stuff, nothing I was interested in. But I read before hand that there was a beautiful themed Food Republic food court at the basement, so I went in search of it. I guess this might be a Capitaland Mall? Cause Food Republic is almost a Singapore brand? Anyway, found! And it looks lovely!



The whole food court was decorated like the good old days. There was even a Vespa inside. Old poster and advertisements are pasted all over the place. The place was also very wood themed, and old concrete. Love the look!


The food on sale was also very tempting. I almost wanted to ask if my friend would mind eating here. I'm sure it would be cheaper than the place he suggested. But I have asked him to pick a local place for me, so that I can try something a local would eat. But next time I am in the area, I would probably come eat there.  The price is kinda like a Singapore food court. It wasn't road side cheap. But the ambiance is so pretty!


I mean, look at the old movie posters! So nostalgic, even though I am way too young for that era!


There is also a Taiwanese mamak stall, with all the snacks, junk food and games to make kids part with their pocket money.


A retro barber shop front, complete with the chair. 


Anyway, around 11am or so, I made my way to find the eating place. Spring Water Hall, literal translation. I was kinda excited that we were eating here. It is the founder of bubble tea! Their original shop is actually in TaiChung, and I was contemplating whether to visit it. It was not on my itinerary, but somehow my friend suggested it for our lunch date! Yay!


We both ordered Taiwanese Beef Noodles, and of course Bubble Tea. And spend the lunch hours catching up, as well as talking about work. Conversation was in mandarin, and I wondered if he could tell that sometimes I can't understand him, lol. 


Here's my friend, and my bubble tea! The bubble tea was lovely! The tapioca balls were a lot smaller than the usual ones I get in Singapore. I am glad I got to try it. I am also super glad that someone helped me order food in a restaurant. I hate reading the Chinese menu and guessing what they are. Plus, you have to scan QR code and order, and I am super stingy on my roaming data! Anyway, it was super nice meeting up with my friend. It was a warmth friendship. Taiwan people are always super warmth :) I've lined up to meet a total of 3 friends, all ex-colleagues/vendors during my trip. 


After the meetup, I went window shopping a while, and took the train home to explore the shops around my hotel. It is interesting when you have so much time alone and can do anything you want. I went into a budget shop, seeing many people looking at CDs. CDs! In 2023! So I also went and look. I was looking for an album from one of my favourite singer Zhang Zhen Yue. And guess what, there was a single copy of it! I don't own a CD player. I couldn't test it. Wait, I think it was a DVD. I don't know! But I bought it. Hoping my husband would be able to ripped it for me into mp3. I have not heard his new album even though it has been out a long time. I have been so caught up in work that I've somehow forgetting the things that I've loved.... I was so happy to purchase this album. 

Now, in March 2024, I will listen to it often. I still buy albums, and go to concert. It is my way of giving back to the artist that has sang my soul in their songs. From his one song I love in my university days, to travelling to Hua Lian because of his one song, to buying 3 of his album before attending his concert in Singapore. And every time I am in Taiwan, I play his music as my background music to life. Strange. I used to like David Tao too. But his Four Season of Loneliness always reminded me of Hong Kong instead of Taiwan. Just a thought. 

Anyway, I digress.  Let us continue about Taiwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments