Sunday, March 31, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Kaohsiung Fo Guang Shan Monastery (佛光山寺)


After visiting the museum, we make our way to the monastery side of Fo Guang Shan. The look up of the building was stunning. It almost looked like a scene from Nepal or Tibet, with the building high up in the mountain slope. 


The walk up was sheltered but slopped. There were many things to see along the way. Writings on the walls, more Buddhist icons, and ponds, lots of ponds. More than  one lotus ponds with Kuan Yin Goddess of Mercy were found along the way like the one above.


Or this one, with a white Kuan Yin in the middle of the pond. The lotus wasn't in bloom though, which was a pity. I can imagine how beautiful it would have looked if they were in full bloom. 


More steps to conquer. It was always like this, seeking God. It was always an uphill climb no matter where you went. Indian God in some cave in the mountain? Checked. Japanese God in some stone stairs above? Checked. Jesus Christ at some slope on a hill? Checked. Lesson here is, always seek God when you are young and fit!


To get to the grand hall, we have to pass a garden of 500 monks.... I don't know why, but they were just there. And accordingly, all 500 was supposed to be unique I guess?


This is the short path to walk pass the 500 monks. My friend asked me to count them. I just did a ballpark estimate. Ain't got no time to count monks, especially stone white ones! I got stairs to conquer!


Finally reached the grand hall. Looks like a palace to me! I would imagine this is what the palace looks like in Beijing. Will let you know when I ever each Beijing! But for now, we settle for Taiwan first. Inside the grand hall? More Gods!


All those God search worked up an appetite for us. We head to the canteen that serves vegetarian meals. I was very much looking forward to this. It was pay-as-you-like. My friend allowed me to pay, and I think I dropped 1000TWD in the box. We both reserved a table with my bags, and grab a paper plate and bowls to fill up with food. OMG, the food was amazing! And it was mango season in Taiwan, so there were ripe mangoes on offer too. The soup was tamarind in taste, and I just bowls after bowls of it. But what stood out was the guava drink. It was summer, it is understood that any cool drink would be delicious. Guava juice never tasted nice in Malaysia before, like, ever.... But the ones  here, was refreshing, chilled, and thirst quenching, and really drives the fatigue away. It was cup after cup of it for me. It was the one thing I remembered most from my meal here. As I grew older, my taste had geared more and more towards vegetarian. I find vegetables taste much more sweeter and juicier. And the scent of herbs were so delicate in certain vegetarian cuisine. I have no problem eating vegetarian as long as they don't serve mock meat. I hate mock meat. 


More scenes of the surrounding nearer the canteen. This was the building with many Buddhas looking out. It's cute that a nun is seen here walking by too. 


After lunch, it was time to leave. We walked out the gate above, and my friend asked me to turn back to read the wordings. I have no idea why there is a shore when you look back. My friend explained it to me in Buddhist concept, and as I was writing this almost one year later, I still couldn't remember the meaning of it. So I googled it (duh!). Here in chinese for your reading pleasure: 回头是岸:佛家语,指有罪的人只要回心转意,痛改前非,就能登上“彼岸”,获得超度。 后比喻做坏事的人,只要决心悔改,就有出路。


There was also this monk statue in the entrance garden that I was strangely drawn to. I couldn't quite explain it, but I could hardly tear my eyes away from him. While uploading the photo for the blog and editing the photos, I saw that in front of him sat a small little red dragon.... maybe that's why?


Ending the post here with a photo of me and my friend in her car as she drove me back to KaohSiung. Thank you so much for your hospitality! We actually met again the next day. Will write about it more, but this was the only photo I took of her cause my next meeting with her was too traumatising, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments