Friday, March 22, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Taipei Train Station & Night Market

 

Before I could go enjoy my sight seeing and eating, I had to settle my train tickets first. I have purchased a number of tickets for my trip via their mobile app, but I needed to exchange them for a physical ticket before boarding the train. So off I went to Taipei Main Station. I don't recall being here before even though I am pretty sure I have! Am I growing old? The process to redeem was pretty easy, even though I really struggle with the language. Just because you look Chinese, people just assume you speak mandarin! 


After getting my tickets, I also wandered around to check out the bento lunch boxes. On my travel checklist was to purchase this and eat it on the train on my longest ride from Taipei to Kauhsiung. I wanted to see what are the options available, and how much they cost.


The menu was mouth watering! And price was pretty reasonable too. The only problem was, most was open around 9am or 930am. My train was at 10am if not mistaken..... 


But still, the food look so delicious! And the train ride was gonna be long.... Anyway, I don't have to worry about it yet. Still have two days to go before I leave Taipei. Will figure it out along the way. 


First official task completed, I make my way to Ning Xia Road Night Market. I was super early there, the stalls were just setting up around 5pm. I found a stationary shop, and was lost inside for an hour looking at all the cool stuff inside. Strangely, the things were't that cheap, so I don't recall I bought anything. At around 6pm, I decided to give the night market a second try. I have a list of things to eat, better start early!


I have read multiple blogs on night markets in Taiwan. In fact, my plan was to always have my dinner at a night market. I tried. I really tried. But I gave up half way. How often can you eat night market food anyway? The answer is, not many, for me at least. But this was  my first, so I headed to this Fang Jia Chicken Rice with high hopes!


The price was rather reasonable. It was starting to get crowded. Most people came in pair or with families. I was alone.  Do you know what is the advantage of travelling alone? No wait time for table! And since I already knew what I wanted to try, I ordered the moment the lady showed me a seat. She was relief for not fasting their time and handed me my dinner shortly. 


I was kinda disappointed at the sight of this. It was cheap, but it was just chicken and rice.... Have I come all this way to eat chicken rice? No! This was just my appetiser! Actually, I think I was supposed to order the rice and an accompanying dish like a vegetable or soup. I must have looked quite poor just eating a bowl of rice!


After the small bowl of rice, I was still hungry. I wanted to try the sesame chicken, but the price seems to indicate a whole chicken.... Maybe next time. I walked back to the stationary shop as there was a famous Pepper Biscuit that was highly recommended by many bloggers. I don't like pepper. I have NO pepper in my house at all. But when people recommend something highly, I gotta at least have a try before I condemn it, right? Thank goodness I was open about trying this. It was delicious! I wished I have bought more! Maybe next time... 


July 2023 was still kinda post-covid period. But it was still crowded. People mountain people sea. It was time for me to leave! I hate crowds! So off I head back to the hotel to wash up and rest. Tomorrow is another brand new day of exploring! But before I leave, here's something interesting.


Saw this cute postbox at the train station. A Future Post Box. I never could understand this concept. I could never understand the concept of writing a letter to your future self. Why? Does it matter? And to pay for this service? Ok, maybe some people find this kinda romantic? What if you changed address? What then? Anyway.... Just thought the Shiba dog was rather cute. Below is the explanation of how the whole thing works. But it's just not for me. Not now. Not in the future :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments