Friday, March 29, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Kaohsiung LiuHe Night Market (六合夜市)


First night in KaohSiung and already I am at my 2nd night market. This is LiuHe Night market, pretty close walking distance from my hotel. In the three nights that I was staying here, I think I visited it every single night. It was my all time favourite night market in Taiwan! I would love to come back here again in future :)


Why do I live this night market so much. Well compared to those I've been to in Taipei, this one was a lot more spacious. And perhaps I was there early, but it was a lot less crowded than the other night markets I've been too. But really, it could just be because of the space that is available here. Everything seems bigger in KaohSiung :)


I mean, look at the road! So super wide! They stopped the traffics from coming in during evening. And it was just one long road of food everywhere! Tables and chairs were also available for you to sit down to have a meal. I actually ate there on my 2nd day in KaohSiung. I always go early so that I don't have to fight with the crowd. But here, there was always space. And that meant a lot to a claustrophobic like me. 


Oh yeah, when I said they stopped traffic from entering, apparently that does not mean scooters. You can still get hit by scooters! So be careful! You can always get hit by a scooter everywhere in Taiwan! Hahaha. 


There was a souvenir shop, or a pharmacy which I went in to. On the 2nd floor there was a daruma shrine. I don't know why. I don't want to know why. But it looks cute. So I took a photo and left. Ya, just wanted to mention it since the photo is already uploaded here :P


Above the first stall I bought from, a "big sausage hug small sausage" snack. Sounds dirty, doesn't it? :P
Anyway, it's glutinous rice sausage over a taiwanese sausage, served with pickled vegetables, chilli sauce and mustard. To be honest, I didn't enjoy it very much. But I did like the aunty selling it. She was actually lecturing a Hong Kong guy about needing to try new things when travelling, cause he didn't want to try any of the sauces that the aunty recommended. When it was my turn to order, told the aunty she can put anything she think best :)


After purchasing my dinner, I walked back to my hotel. Look at how wide the roads are in KaohSiung! It's like 4 ways? 6 ways? 8 way main road? Even the pavement is wide! I won't have problem cycling here!


This bus stop was just across my hotel, and while I was waiting for the traffic light to cross, this bus pulls up and shows the sign that I just had to stop to take a photo for memory sake. Incidentally I was also stuck in this bus stop one of the days when it rained. So, during the summer it is super hot during the morning. And around late afternoon, it would pour. And then stopped. Weird weather. 


This is the view from across my hotel while I was at the traffic light. My hotel is the building on the left. On the right you can see a super red sign that says: Authentic Pork Rib Rice! Oh my, bet you I'll have to try that before I check-out! How could you not give such meal a try when you see it everyday when you walk by, and even from your bedroom window? 


So here's what I had for my dinner. Papaya milk, cause you gotta try papaya milk in Taiwan, it's a thing here. The dirty sausage thing. And I think I got pop-corn chicken on my first night. I think at this stage, I was eating too much meat and carbo. No worries, I'm going for a vegetarian buffet the next day! Going to load up on the vegetables there!. And oh yeah, I think I wasn't suppose to eat in the room. In my defence, I could always say I can't read mandarin, but I think it was one of the rules written in chinese somewhere. But since I already ate there on my first night, I continued to do so daily, lol. But I made sure I throw all my rubbish on my own at the central bin on the 2nd floor eating area. If I didn't do that, the food smell would stick up the room! And this being a cheap hotel, there was no room service through out my stay, not that I bothered.

Lastly, here is why I love travelling. Look at the step count on this day! Goodness, what on early did I do? I think my average daily is usually 25k steps. So I'm posting this for the record. And that ends my first night in KaohSiung. My other friend was picking me up next morning, so I better sleep early!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments